Friday, February 06, 2009

Keano

From ESPN Soccernet...

"I was chasing a dream - the team I supported as a kid, as a kid growing up you always want to play for the team you support.

"But sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side and that's been the case. I'm back now. That is the past and I am looking to the future."

-Robbie Keane
I guess I've calmed down a tad over this move and I'm liking it more and more as time goes on. I can liken my feelings to when Ryan Smyth left the Oilers. I don't like him anymore, he's nothing, he's gone, his legend is over. But what if he came back to the Oil? Would it be the same. Could I still look at him as being the defining face of the franchise and someone that makes me proud to cheer for this team?

Loyalty in sports can be very fickle, both from fans and players. Love one day, hate the next. I think the thought of your favorite player doing the things you love to please someone else can leave such a bad taste in your mouth it is hard to wash out.

But Keane seems to have recommitted to Spurs and I'm a believer. So I'll do my part. Welcome home Robbie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know exactly how you feel. I hope he never scores another goal again in his career.

Okay, not really. I'm just not that mean. And honestly, why does Benitez hate him so much? I honestly just feel bad for him.

alex_ygd said...

Because it was Parry's signing and there is a giant power struggle?