Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Ok, Shifting Gears

While I appreciate that someone is getting excited for the start of the Prem season after the incredibly short break they get for summer, this blog is starting to look like a Liverpool fan's club. It's time to turn the tide and talk about another title dreamer (snap!), Tottenham Hotspur.

While being linked with almost everyone (not too noteworthy) under the sun this summer, things have been relatively quiet. I'm very sad that the rumour of bringing in Canadian International Julian De Guzman didn't pan out. I really don't like Wilson Palacios and with Didier Zokora gone, Willy will likely see a bulk of the midfield holding role. Another disappointment was the bringing in of Peter Couch. Though I'm not particularly affable toward the guy, I must admit he does have soccer talent instead of basketball talent for unknown reasons. Lastly, I was kind of hoping Jenas would be on his way out. Alas, it has yet to happen.

The huge crisis which is bound to condemn the team to another slow start is going to be the injuries on defense. Hopefully Ledley King can play a part at the start of the year, despite not even kicking a ball in preseason training, but Dawson and Woodgate are out. I think had they all been healthy (of course King will never be healthy), they would have had a good shot at starting on the right foot this year. They don't have to worry about the Europa League, so they can focus on the league. But I can't see anything good coming from the losses on defense.

Goaltending is also a concern, because as much athletic talent as Gomes can display, he is prone to flapping around like he's a blindfolded fat kid looking for the pinata.

But the good comes from strong options going forward. In my opinion, Aaron Lennon is the top threat in the league on the wing. And I think he will really show that this year. His ability to get space and spring down the wing, taking men on and flying by, and getting balls into the box will bode well for the poachers inside it. I think Keane, Defoe, and Crouch are all best scrapping for goals in the box. None are much threat outside of it (like a Fernando Torres).

So there, I think I've stepped up and represented North London blue, white, and bright yellow. Come on you Spurs!

No comments: