Friday, August 14, 2009

Prem Predictions 09-10

I predicted Chelsea to win the title last year because of ManU's loss of C-ron at the start of the season due to injury. While they did drop points, they quickly recovered once he returned. This year, he doesn't return. Plus they lose their hardest working player in Tevez. Rooney (not to mention Owen) is a band-aid, so relying on him for the extra offense might not work out.

Meanwhile Chelsea is so deep in the midfield, once Joe Cole is back they are even going to have trouble finding minutes for everyone. They could hurt at center back if either one of Carvalho or Terry go down for a long period. But they have probably the most dangerous strike partnership to choose from up front with Drogba and Anelka (convince me otherwise, Man City).

Two Torres' is what I see Liverpool needing to win anything. I just don't see the depth that will get them through another long CL run while holding off teams in the Prem. Still a quality team with the most dynamic offense around (again, we'll see in time about Man City).

When it comes down to it, there just isn't much movement at the top anymore, and that's exactly where I see these three ending up.

1. Chelsea
2. Liverpool
3. Man U


However, I think there is definitely room for movement in the 4-8 slots.

Arsenal has been weakened, but has youth and talent behind them. Depth is getting to be an issue and will struggle to keep above the pack below them.

I just don't see Man City making the strides this year to break out. Only one significant signing (so far) has been made to bolster their defense, where I see their problems coming from. If they go through a goal drought, there is going to be drama and infighting. Robinho was no revelation for them last year.

Although Everton aren't starting very healthy, they have some depth and should only get stronger as the year goes on, getting Yakubu, Jagielka, Anichebe and Arteta back in time. If they can keep Lescott, they have the best shot at breaking the top 4 monopoly. Tim Howard was stellar all summer, best keeper in the Prem now if you ask me.

Spurs will likely start bad, on a account of center back injuries to start the year, or just because they always do. There is a lot of hype about Modric for this season, but did he really get that much better over the summer? Wouldn't bother me one bit if he backed it up, great player nonetheless. I'm more excited about what Aaron Lennon will do. Should be some great goals and questionable defense this year. The only question is whether not having the UEFA Cup to worry about gives them enough strength to challenge at the top.

4. Arsenal
5. Everton
6. Man City
7. Tottenham


I just don't see Villa hanging in there this year. Lost Barry and Laursen retired, Downing is a ways off from healthy. Not sure if I believe in their defense holding up to some potent offenses this year.

Fulham seem to be progressing again slowly. Have hung on to Hangeland so far and haven't really taken any steps back. Schwarzer and Dempsey have re-signed and will be key players for them this year. If they can find consistent scoring, they'll finish top half table.

Sunderland has been stocking up in the last little while. No huge moves by any stretch, but this is a competitive team which can take some steps forward this year. Bent is still a quality forward.

Bolton is another team that I think fits the same billing as Sunderland. I thought they were destined for the drop last year, but I'm glad I was wrong because this has always been one of my favorite teams to watch.

West Ham and Blackburn should have enough talent to slot into the bottom-middle of the table, that's all I got.

8. Aston Villa
9. Fulham
10. Sunderland
11. Bolton
12. West Ham
13. Blackburn


Two teams that I've read are questionable to stay up, but on paper look good enough to me are Hull and Birmingham. I have a soft spot for Hull, and if Bullard is healthy and with Altidore up front, they add significantly more talent. I like the Hunt signing too.

14. Hull
15. Birmingham


I see 12-20 being a dogfight this year. Anything can happen. Can Portsmouth get stability? Will Delap surprise/fluster defenses with his throws? Will Burnley win a game? Can Wigan cope with losing so much talent since the middle of last season?

16. Stoke
17. Wigan
18. Portsmouth
19. Wolves
20. Burnley

No comments: