Tuesday, January 30, 2007

For the horses

From Sportsnet.ca ...

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) -- Barbaro's final resting place could be just a few hundred yards from the scene of his greatest triumph in the Kentucky Derby.

Officials at the Kentucky Derby Museum, located on the grounds of Churchill Downs, said Tuesday they'd be "honoured" if Barbaro were buried in a garden along with four other Derby winners.
I'm sorry, but this is stupid. All this curfuffle about a stupid horse. I understand that there are a lot of animal lovers out there and they can get very attached to their pets, but COMMMMMME-ON! This horse wasn't even a pet per say, it was an organic revenue generating device used for rich lawyers and stock brokers to watch gallop around a track, have a delightful afternoon, and make themselves richer. I've never seen anyone give a horse a post-race interview. I've never seen the disappointment in the eyes of a horse that lost a race. I've never seen a horse train itself to break into the big leagues.

I will never understand treating a horse better than a human being. Barbaro had all types of specialized medical care and grieving hearts going out to it. All that should have happened was the pull of a trigger and the gas being fired up on the barbecue.

That's another thing, why the hell is eating horses considered so taboo? What is it that horses do in nature that cows don't? I could ride a cow if I wanted to, couldn't I? I could care deeply for a cow, no? I could make an automobile named after a fast cow if I so desired. The only difference that I can see nowadays is that people ride horses and therefore there is an emotional connection.

Take this for what it's worth, but Wikipedia says that ...
Horse meat has been used as food for animals and humans throughout the ages. It is eaten in many parts of the world and is an export industry in the United States and other countries.
And get this, it says that it is even "slightly sweet, tender, low in fat, and high in protein." Sounds delicious! Apparently you can buy it in Quebec, but that doesn't exactly satisfy my life here. Oh, how I crave a horseburger.

No comments: