Monday, March 26, 2007

Faking the Drama

Maybe it's just because I've never been in a band or played an instrument or had any talent, but what is with the pretentious band photograph?

What is it a picture of a band posing in a nonchalant manner, highlighting the lead singer while everyone else fades into the backdrop, that entices musical artists ot think this is how they want to be represented to the world? I know if I was a pro athlete, I wouldn't want t-shirts or posters of me sitting on my front step, leaning back with a serious look while my teammates stood idly in the background pretending to talk to each other wearing pin stripe suits with the collared shirts untucked and wearing sunglasses. I would want a picture of me crowning or crushing or posterizing or scoring.

So in this instance:


Am I to believe that Coldplay writes songs sitting on the floor of a white box? What is so serious about this situation? Is is because they don't like having their pictures taken? I could understand this at least. I'm sure there is something to say about art and blah blah blah. If you ask me, these type of photos do nothing to show the character of the band and are therefore useless, unless of course they can be marketed.

No comments: